Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pet Peeves at Woofles and Meowz

So I was chatting with a lady in the store a few weeks ago who I saw drive by not 5 minutes earlier with her dog perched on her lap. She came into the store and purchased some treats and a shiny new dog tag that said "princess". She obviously thought much of her dog with its gorgeous t-shirt and perfect grooming.
Except.....and here is the obvious "BUT" in the next sentence. Where was the safety equipment......where was the well being of the dog.....where did the needs of the "Mommy" end and the real needs of the dog start?!?!??
I casually mentioned our best selling "3 in 1" vest harness that we carry that is perfect for taking the pooch in the car. How it is really easy to use and how it saves lives of both doggy and other passengers.
"Oh she won't let me put that on her" was the response.
I waited......said nothing and just looked at the woman. I balanced the probabilities of whether she was just being lazy, stupid or was so entranced by the idea that she be loved by her dog at all costs that the welfare of said dog be damned that I was unusually silent.
Then.........I pulled out the picture of a woman in the operating room with bones of her dog being pulled from her chest as the airbag had pushed her "baby" into her fake boobs popping the inserts and puncturing one lung. The dog died.
Then I gave her a pic of a dog flying out of a half open window as a car made a quick left. The dog died.
Then I showed her the crash results of what a 10 pound projectile will do to the occupants in the event of a crash even at slow speeds. The driver usually suffers neck and head injuries as does the passenger. The pet will usually catch a leg in the steering wheel breaking it or catch itself on the shift lever often resulting in massive internal injuries...and....the dog usually dies.
"Sooooo.how about you lemme try one on your dog" I said. I think she was so grossed out by the pics that she just handed me her ball of fluff with legs.
"There!...easy peezy" I smiled as we watched the cute pink harness run around on the pooch in the store...."no problemo.......will that be cash or charge?"
"Do you take Visa?" she murmered.
"For you I do" I smiled.
I ALMOST felt quilty for what was an obvious and manipulitive manoever but nahhhhh!
She had to learn somehow.
.............now HERE'S the kicker!!!!!! two weeks after the conversation in walks Miss Thing with a broken nose and blacker eyes than Liza on a bender.
"IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!!!! THE HARNESS WORKS!" was the scream as she stumbled into the caboose..."Gabby (Gabrielle her dog) was saved!!"
"WOW..thats wonderful...and you just thought I was being an asshole didn't you" I laughed.
..."wellll maybe a little..but THATS OK!!!
"How's the car?" as I remembered it was a gorgeous 3 series beemer.
"Totalled!"
"What happened, girl?...spill!!"
"I slid off the road....they say it was gravel on the offramp" she said in a slowing tempo.
"But you only hurt one thumb from the airbag....Lucky you!!" I gave her.
"Oh I was on the phone".....and as soon as she said it, and looked at me..looking back at her....we both knew........she was indeed.........an idiot that really needed a safety harness for her dog.
A sweet idiot..........with a living dog...but an idiot nevertheless.
I swear if the dog could have given me a "high five" it would have.
True story!

No comments: