Friday, December 5, 2008

Dog treats, cat treats...... what is best?

So I was chatting with a woman in the store today who was wanting a "chew toy" for her Portugese water dog. I suggested, as I usually do, that while there is no such thing as a "chew toy" but rather toys that can be chewed on and then removed if they are being destroyed and then I went on to extole the benefits of the "bully sticks' we carry.
Now bully sticks are plain and simple a good, natural beef chew stick that will take most dogs a good long time to get through. They are tough and made to be be ingested without harm to the animal as they can only get small pieces of the bone/stick off at a time.......and the item is made of penis.
Yup....good 'ol penis, weiner, dick, all from a bull .."is this from a cow??"...."no cows don't have penises"...........I have that exchange at least three times a week.
I don't sell pigs ears or rawhide because they are usually too large and the dog can soften up a large enough piece then swallow it.....which then swells up and cannot pass. Owie!
Bully sticks don't do this for the most part. They also last for 99.999% of dogs at least a few hours.
Unfortunately....the lady who purchased the 10'' bully stick (no jokes please) for her dog was surprised that he went through it in 15 minutes and was more than happy to call me with that feedback. The feedback I Do appreciate actually because it reminds me in my shpiel of careful instruction for safety and what I believe (as a salesperson, store owner and dog trainer) to be a good product to ask "what do you think your dog will take to finish this off?"This immediately takes the onus off of me to being a psychic and knowing the traits and habits of a dog I have never seen before.
Mainly.....because HELLO!!!!...I don't know YOUR dog but I do know the many thousands of dogs that come through the store and training courses and those dogs that I have owned.
I can only give what I believe to be good advice.
I know Pitbulls that take days to finish a bully stick and a Jack Russell only a couple of hours.
15 minutes as she described is pretty darn fast and very unusual but not impossible.
The point I guess is to know your own pet and combine the advice on a product with what habits your pet has.
The final point that sticks out in my mind is that while super polite I felt she was put off that the bully stick which is NOT inexpensive at $8.98 did last 15 minutes and I dare ask what if ever in the past while she had purchased as a consumable lasted HER as long as 15 minutes. Not a 5 buck latte and muffin.....not a fast food experience.....and frankly...I bet the dog freakin enjoyed it so quit complain' girlfriend! I am super happy though to offer that same lady a great selection of our organic treats on the house free of charge. Now these we know he will scarf down but value is value and I like to give it as best as I can. With our huge clientelle we like to make sure they are taken care of as well as their pets. So c'mon by girl and have a snack for the pooch.
This also goes for any dog who comes to visit us. There is always a free treat for visiting dogs while in the store.
chomp!........WOOF!

No comments: